Monday, November 23, 2009

The Lake

I went to the beach at sunset.

The air was cold, my breath fogged in front of my face. My shorts and t-shirt weren't enough for an afternoon like that.

But it didn't matter.

When I dropped to my knees in the sand, almost nothing mattered. The rock lodged in my knee didn't matter. My hands in the freezing water didn't matter. The people, the stares, the whispers behind me... none of it mattered.

The sunset, a blazing fire in the distance, became one with the water. And with an inhale of the cold air, there was clarity.

I cried for every anguish of my life and smiled for every happiness. I cried and smiled for hours until the sun sank. Below the water, the fire sank and then there was only the still water, broken only by a light cold wind. The tears dried, the smile fell. All was calm again.

No comments:

Post a Comment